Thursday, March 26, 2009

Tired

The assignment this week for Hufflepuff is to blog about our week. Well, probably most of you know that my muggle town, Fargo ND, is facing the worst flood in the entire history of North Dakota. It has kept me (and about 125,000 other people) a tad too busy for school work.

I feel shell shocked. This afternoon it was announced that the projected crest will be up to 43 feet, 2 higher than previously expected. They have raised the crest of the river about a foot each day, always saying this is the highest it can go. And each day they look grim and say they were wrong, it's going higher. Our dikes are fine at this level, but if we don't add to the dikes we will be innundated by Saturday. We have to raise the dikes another 2 feet. More neighborhoods have been evacuated. The mayor is looking grim on the news. The city council is no longer "cautiously optimistic". I got my evacuation bag ready to go. Allergy and asthma meds? check. Fresh undies and socks? check. A couple changes of clothes? check. Toothbrush, etc? check. Extra knitting project? check. Bedding? Check.

But I feel like I'm sagging. So tired. So worried. I have 3 cats. What will happen to them? And I'm in the middle of this swap. I simply don't have room to take all that with me. The city is advising one bag only. Should I mail what I have at least? Then if the flood does not take my town under I can still send the other items later. And if the flood does overwelm us and I have to flee then at least Cecily will have almost the entire kit. All I have left actually is the bag and one or two little gifts.

I'm done sandbagging. I actually haven't done that much. It just seems like it. But the ladies in my church are asking for people to bake bars to take to the National Guard troops. My pastor is a chaplain in the Guard. That's easier than sandbagging. But getting accross town to drop the bars off at the church is going to be troublesome. So many roads have been closed that it will be tricky to find the open ones that will take me there.

OK, done whining now.

No comments: