Friday, February 6, 2009

Turning in My Homework

Our first assignment of the term is easy. I just have to tell about how I learned to knit.

Well, one of my hobbies is to spin wool and silk into embroidery threads and yarn. After a couple of years of that I found myself with lots of yarn. I gave some away, offered some for charity raffles and sold some on eBay, but I didn't use it. That's because I couldn't knit and some idiot told me you can't crochet with hand spun. Hmph.

I went to the local yarn store. The nice lady there helped me pick a (relatively) inexpensive wool/acrylic blend yarn, the right size needle and a "learn how to knit" booklet. I went home and tried and cried. I went to the library and got a video on "learn how to knit" and tried and cried some more. But I'm sorta stubborn and by golly I was going to learn to knit. And after lots of trying and crying I got the hang of it. Then I was lonely. I had friends who loved to knit (Hi, Violette!) but they lived hours away. What I needed was a local knitting group. None of my local friends knew how to knit, So I taught 'em. More trying and crying, but this time it wasn't me. Now we meet once a week at a local coffee shop and have lots of fun.

I honestly cannot remember my first projet. I remember making squares... well, actually oddly shaped rectangles, of garter stitch and then of stockingette. I made a couple disrags, and weird hat. The frist "real project" was a pair of socks in Lion Brand Woolease. They turned out OK, except that somehow I forgot to do a gussett on one. Don't ask.

1 comment:

Cassandra Puddlemere said...

knittinghelp.com was a god send to me when i first started to learn to knit!